Sunday, May 19, 2013

K is for ...

another round of the Alpha Challenge on the Craft Barn Blog. If you want to know what this is about please hop over to their blog and learn everything about it.
This time it's the letter 'K'.

I'm also entering this into the 'Anything but a Card' challenge #19 which is a color challenge. I just discovered the page fits :-D

I decided to go for the word 'keepsake' and this is what I did for my future alphabet journal:

Here's a picture of an item I hold as a keepsake of my father who passed away way too soon (of course I have other things of him, too ;o)) at the age of 58. Of course it's ridiculous and kitschy, but my dictionary unfortnately doesn't hold the word kitsch. It's an ashtray, actually LOL
I don't even know where it comes from, probably he had it as a keepsake of something or someone too. I'll have to ask my mother.

At first I didn't know what to do with this pic. Then I wanted to make something that is reminiscent of some kind of a shrine. I covered an arc by tando creative with some inka gold indigo. Then I put on a layer of thick embossing powder and pressed a stamp by impressions obsession into it. At last I added a bit of inka gold gold.

I like the texture very much.

I added a stamp of father and daughter (?) by oxford impressions after I sprinkled on some frantage embossing enamel shabby green and some ep gold.
This is the whole page:

Again the background is a ghost print I pulled with my gelli plate. I discovered that the colours match those of the pic almost perfectly - although it's a bit pale. I added stamps by oxford impressions, hero arts, and T.H.

And here's another view of the kitschy piggy-ashtray (I just love it, probably because it's so weird):

Thanks you so much for stopping by.
Hugs, Suzanne xxx

Sorry for not commenting much lately, I'll try to catch up as soon as possible.

17 comments:

  1. That ashtray is very kitsch but what a great keepsake of your father and that makes it special:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That wonderful ashtray really did make me smile, it is such fun - I love it. Really love your beautiful background and the arch looks amazing with the embossing. Altogether, a wonderful piece Suzanne. Hugs, Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant, that ash tray is awesome and I love your page, Nice to have something with such a strong connection to your dad x
    great take on the challenge x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes the kitsch keepsakes are the best because they have a story behind them and this one obviously has humour. I think its great.Your page is fabulous from the gelli plate background to the stamp embossed shrine!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am finding memory plays a big part in the choice of words in this challenge. Yours makes a lovely story,

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful page, with a great story about the keepsake! Have a great day!
    Groetjes karin

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a seriously fun ashtray it makes me smile just looking at it. Makes me think your Dad was probably a really fun bloke too. What a great homage to his little piggy ashtray. I adore that texture you got with the frame, Think I need to play with that technique :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. How wonderful to craft an alpha page with real life treasures. K must be magical, this is the 2nd one I've seen. It will make your journal that much more personal and meaningful. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That ash tray is such fun - my mum would have loved it as she collected pigs when she was alive. I love the page you have created and the way you have combined all the elements. Glad I had my tissues handy when reading your blog! Thanks for joining us at Anything But A Card.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful post and what a great way to make a memories page which is so very different but so personal to you. Just fabulous..... and that ash tray is just amazing!
    Thanks for joining us this time at Anthing But a Card.
    Jennie x
    PS Great take on the colour combo!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your page is wonderful and I love those pigs. Your page will always hold treasured memories for you!
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful personal page, love the pig ashtray.

    Sylv xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. A lovely keepsake page, great ashtray. MMx

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love what you've done with your page Suzanne! I so love pigs and don't care how kitsch they are! I think it's a wonderful idea to make the shrine and place the photo in it. Love the close up shots of your fab background too. It's such a lovely way to use your keepsake which is so important to you.
    Hugs, Juliaxxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great idea and a lovely page! xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those pigs are so cute! great page
    Thanks for playing with us at the Craft Barn
    Izzy

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fabulous layout! The photo is so fun and the 'shrine' for the piggies is gorgeous with texture! Your page is a wonderful way to connect this item with memories of your father. Thanks so much for sharing it with us at Anything But a Card.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks a lot for your much appreciated comment :-)