Monday, October 15, 2012

Bats, bats, bats ...

challenge #154 over at Haunted Design House: Bats in the Belfry.
We are to 'create a dark, Gothic or Halloween-based piece that has anything to do with bats'.

Now this time I dared to do something bigger and a little more elaborat than a card :-) in honor of the BATs, some of  the most adorable and fascinating creatures on earth. Just love them ...

So I decided to do a mirror.
First I glued down pre-cut and torn scraps from patterned paper and dictionary pages. Then I stamped the haunted house with a flock of bats from paper artsy/hot pick in the bottom left corner (sponged it a little bit with green, grey and purple ink), in the background I stamped a spider web by Tim Holtz and a little flock of bats (also paper artsy) several times.

Then I covered the frame with a coat of craft glue and sprayed it with mixtures of distress reinker and water (iced spruce, dusty concord and shabby shutters) and some glimmer mist slate for good measure. Then I scattered different cut-out bat stamps all over the frame.

At first I glued the hanging bats onto the frame and the barbed wire has been stamped in black, so nothing really to recognise properly. Also I outlined the bats with white because they've been too dark which didn't look very good.
In the end I stamped the barbed wire again with silver acrylic paint dabber, stamped the bats again on grey cardstock and cut them out generously to cover the white outlining. I adhered them with 3d pads and tried to complete the wire on the cardstock. Finally I added a metal ornate plate with the word BATS in case someone would miss it's all about bats this time LOL
So in the end it looks better than the first attempt :-) Hope some of you like it, too.

I think it's quite funny how people dig up their various kinds of bats :-D


A few close ups, hope you don't tire of looking :-)




This one is just the scrap I covered the mirror with, but I think I might do something with it, though ...


I also like to enter this project into the Artful Times challenge #15: fur or feathers (I'd so love to stroke a bat's fur and hold such a little cutie in my hand ... :-D), and the 'Anything but a card challenge #4: Fall or Halloween or Fall Colors' - I think this definitely fits for Halloween :-)
Usually I'm not the challenge hopper but since at the moment there are Halloween challenges everywhere and I sadly am not able to do as many things as I'd love to, I'll make an exception.

Thanks for having a look and your patience.

Hugs, Suzanne xx

19 comments:

  1. Its brilliant Suzanne, love the colours and texture you have gotten with all the sprays and inks. love it.
    thanks for joining us at hdh

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow a fabulous creation, like the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Suzanne, das ist ein geniales Werk. Ich bin hin und weg *umfall*

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like bats and think they are wonderful :) you have put so much thought and and attention to detail :)
    Thank you for sharing with us at Artful Times
    Von ☺

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ja, jetzt sieht es gut aus und auch den Stacheldraht kann man viel besser erkennen als beim ersten Versuch.

    LG Tina

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a mysterious look Suzanne...great Halloween!

    greetings, ALie :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. ...Suzanne this is an awesome tribute to Halloween, your background is a wonderful mixture of colour & texture, superb inking all round and loVe the ornate name plate, a cool inspiring piece...Mel :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey das nen ich mal genial! Das möchte ich gerne mal im Original bestaunen!

    Lg
    claudia

    ReplyDelete
  9. Huhu Suzanne,
    habe in meinem Blogroll noch nicht ganz nach unten gescrollt. Dein fantastischer Spiegel wäre mir also nicht durch die Lappen gegangen. ;) Mir gefallen die tollen Farben und die genialen Dekos absolut. Der Spiegel ist überhaupt echt ne Wucht und super gestaltet. Ich hätte zwar keinen Bock, einer Fledermaus das Fell zu streicheln *kicher* aber so gefallen sie mir unheimlich gut. Was es alles für tolle Halloweenstempel gibt! Da könnte man sich doch glatt totkaufen ne? Also auf das Werk kannst Du echt stolz sein Suzanne!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lots of wonderful images. I just love the bats and love to eatch thenmon a warm summer evening

    Best wishes Chrissie xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Coolio project. Thanks for sharing with us at haunted design house this week x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your amazing project Suzanne, the bats are fabulous, the haunted house is so spooky and your background is wonderful. A triumph I think! Crafty hugs, Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Surprised I missed this Suzanne! Your finished project is full of fantastic stamping, texture and atmosphere. It's wonderful and I'm sure lots of people will like it.
    So glad you shared this at Anything But A Card and I'd love to see you there again.
    Juliaxxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great entry! love the spooky element - bats. Gorgeous background too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful project! I love the bats :) Thanks for joining us at Anything but a Card! :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. very cool! perfect for Halloween!
    Thank you for joining us at Anything But A Card challenge!

    Hugs, Alica ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Brilliant project! The details are amazing! Now I do like bats in all their creepiness for Halloween and I am fascinated with vampires but your description of wanting to hold one - oooh shiver, shiver LOL

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sorry I am so late - blame it on sunny Cyprus!
    What a fabulous piece, love what you have done but don't share your desire to hold a bat. They scare me.
    Thanks for joining us at Artful Times - Hugs, Neet xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congrats on the anything but a card top 5 thing x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks a lot for your much appreciated comment :-)